Archives for category: girl’s

In spite of not starting these until the Tuesday before Easter, I finished these frocks with enough time to do a photoshoot and Easter isn’t until tomorrow! Of course getting a decent picture of two very active girls is a bit of a trick…

With Amy (little one’s) dress, I decided to leave the scalloped apron unadorned. What with the waist tie (I cheated and used a ribbon) and the little bow at the collar and the contrast and the topstitching on the pintucked yoke, I felt like there was enough happening on the front of her dress!

Oh, and a word to the wise – if you decide to make a dress like this, don’t use Kona cotton for the apron. Two layers of Kona, gathered, at the waist was right bulky! I was so afraid I was going to break a serger needle on it!

Betsy’s dress is a dropped waist style which works well if you have a girl like mine with a looong torso. She still fits into her thrift shop crinoline slip from last year – that was one less thing I had to do!

The ribbon trim was my favorite part. I sew ribbons on everything.

I am so pleased with how these turned out; I hope the girls don’t outgrow them anytime soon! Then again, the sky blue material was re-purposed from a bed sheet so they didn’t really cost us anything.

Advertisements

Hi! I’m Sarah, I blog over at colorkitten.com and I’ve been following Sew Retro for some time now! I love seeing everyone’s projects and the things everyone does to adapt vintage patterns.

I have been sewing for ages but haven’t sewn from vintage in a while. (Even though I have collected loads of vintage patterns over the years!) This year I decided that if I wanted to keep them, I had to start using them! And here’s the first project I have finished up:

emily's coat

It’s from this 1955 Butterick pattern (view B):

princess coat pattern

I would normally not have attempted such a tough pattern for a 4-year old who’s going to grow out of it quickly, but my daughter is firmly anti-jacket and we live in NY so…she really needs to wear a coat! I thought that if I let her have some input maybe she’d wear the result, and she wanted a red coat that “looked like a dress”. I assembled some patterns, and this is what she picked out. Gulp! It was hard going but the results were worth it — and the project was a success! She loves it and I think she’s actually going to wear it all winter. For the most part, I followed the original instructions (down to putting in mini shoulder pads) but one thing I did differently was to heavily interface the skirt part of the coat, since it’s actually designed to be worn over full skirts and petticoats which would have helped hold it out a lot. It helps a lot, although, when the coat actually is worn over a full-skirted dress and petticoat it looks amazing:

dreary day at mitsuwa

If you want to know more about the pattern and coat, you can read my blog entry, see more photos on flickr and check out the write up I did on Pattern Review!

I look forward to working through my vintage pattern collection and sharing the results!

♥ Sarah