Archives for category: evadress

Today I redrafted this 1950’s pattern from Eva Dress:

The pattern is a size 14 (32bust) which I am attempting to size up to a size 18 (36 bust). I thought that this would be a very simple pattern to sew, since it says on the pattern cover it is just one piece – it is not – there are facings for the tie, hem and an underarm gusset. I have some (rusty) sewing and drafting experience, but this is way more complicated than expected.

I am making some minor modifications – lengthening the hem to lower on the hip, and also adding length to the tie. I’m doing the 3/4 sleeve – still deciding if I will attempt the underarm gussett , or just skip it. I’ve got some old sheets to test it out on for a muslin, but I have a sinking feeling this may end up as a UFO.

Has anyone made this pattern, and if so, do you have any construction tips?

Advertisements
Hello!
I just finished this gown based on Eva Dress 744, the 1930s Dinner Dress pattern available in multisize.
It was a great pattern to use and I especially love the cut of the skirt.  I did make a few changes just based on personal preference.  Most notably I added 6 inches of length to the cape, cut the back skirt gore twice as wide as the original to have more “swoop” at the back, and added about an inch to the length of the top bodice between the bound buttonhole type facing that the cape passes through and the top, but did not add it to the lining (so that the top piece had more fabric gather above where the cape inserted, then tacked down a “tuck” to just add to the drapey effect).  Also, in lieu of making the cape detachable I decided to just go ahead and attach it and stitch closed the slit through which the cape passes.  I also cut the cape on the cross grain of my 60″ wide fabric so I could not have a seam up the back (which meant I had to piece the lining, but no biggie).
All in all this pattern was MUCH easier to make than I had anticipated.  The hardest part for me was inserting an invisible zipper at the side seam (hi, bias satin + zipper.  Ouch! What was I thinking?  It originally called for snap closures, but I wanted the smooth line), and the newest thing I had learned was zig zagging clear elastic at the back bodice to help it stay “put”.  I am glad I had thought of putting thread basting down the center front of the skirt and the bodice, as it helped me with fitting to make sure the skirt was hanging correctly. I am totally in love with the skirt of this pattern and can see myself adding it to various bodices for different evening gowns.
I used a great heavy gold rayon satin I purchased in the LA garment district for the body of the gown and cape.  The bodice and cape are lined in nude silk charmeuse.  Let me tell you, I was iffy about using my nice fabric to line this in because I was hording it, but oh my gosh, the silk charmeuse on my shoulders and arms felt SO nice that I’m glad I used it!
More info and pictures are on my blog here.
I finished a few dresses from vintage or repro patterns recently and thought I’d share them here.

1939 Eva Dress’ reproduction of McCall’s 9906



More info and photos here

1969 Simplicity 8278


More info and photos here

1965 Simplicity 6327 (Bodice only)



More info and photos here

Have a blessed week!

I just finished these 1933 pants today. I’m really in love with them! More pictures and information on my blog.

I ran this blouse up in a couple of hours yesterday (I love that I’ve got to a stage where I can say that!) and have worn it to work today. What a good feeling!

I used Evadress pattern 650 for this blouse and loved it! The pattern is so simple and quick to go together and the blouse has turned out simple and stylish – this will be good staple for wardrobe building in the future. In particular I’d love to try the long sleeve version in a heavier fabric with a good drape, maybe a crepe or a jersey.

I’ve written a bit more about it at my blog, but in summary, great pattern, fab blouse!

Hi there!
I’m so excited to join Sew Retro! My name is Lauren and my blog is Wearing History.
I love to sew pretty much anything vintage or historical… from the 18th century to the 1950s, but the bulk of my sewing is from the 1930s to the 1950s. I’m very excited to post among so many talented seamstresses and contribute to this blog!
Since I can’t really think of anything else to say about myself I’ll just post a few pictures of a dress I finished up this weekend:

I made this dress from Eva Dress’ 1932 Tea or Street Frock from green rayon crepe and I used a vintage 1930s deco print fabric for my collar accent.  I had been holding onto this fabric for years waiting for just the perfect project to come along and inspire me, and this was the one!  This was a really fun pattern to sew for me. I loved the piecing and the drape and the lapped seams. Fun!  And I loved sewing with these fabrics, too 🙂  For more on this project feel free to visit my blog about it.
Thanks again for letting me join the team of posters here!

I finished my 1931 dress. This is the pattern from Eva Dress and the finished dress.

It is made of silk chiffon; so pretty and really perfect for this type of dress. The fabric flows and works with the skirt insets. It is constructed with French seams throughout. I sew a lot with silk but have never used silk chiffon. All I can say is it seems to repel pins; all I had to do was look at the fabric and you could hear the pins dropping to the floor. Thank goodness I don’t have carpeting and could readily sweep those pins up!
You can read more about the process of constructing this dress on my blog.

Now, I just need to make a slip to go beneath the dress