Archives for category: 1930s
My scanner broke 😦 so whatever is leftover on my hard drive is what I have for catalog Sunday. I hate not having a theme, but catalog sunday must go on!

Here is my latest (completed) project. It is made from some cheap cotton fabric from my stash ($1.00 per yard-thank you, Wal-Mart!) The fabric is beautiful, though; soft and thin, sort of gauzy, not at all stiff or cheap-feeling. It drapes and moves beautifully!

On a side note: my husband took all of these pictures and “didn’t notice” that my collar was folded up in the back on one side…! They turned out so well otherwise (and I was having such a good hair day! hee hee) that I didn’t really want to retake them, so just try to ignore the fold! Here is the dress:



Once again, I made it to match a beautiful pair of crocheted gloves that I got from ebay. At my local fabric store, I found the perfect striped accent fabric to match the colors in the gloves. The buttons are vintage, although I have no idea what era they are from. They looked deco enough to me, and they matched perfectly, so I used them!



I made it using this vintage pattern:



I took about 14 inches total out of the circumference of the hem; it was a bit too A-line for my taste. I also added 2 inches to the length. When it was finished, I topstitched all of the seams with light brown thread. I did it with a lighter color because I wanted the beautiful seaming to show; I love the way the yoke and the pleats look on this dress, and they weren’t really visible on the dark fabric.



Here is the way the collar looks from the back. I tried very hard to match the stripes, both in the back and in the front, and I was pleased with the result. I am not very good at pattern-matching, so the fact that it came so close made me very happy!


More details and pictures on my blog!

This Sunday I have winter fashions from Chicago Mail Order, 1935.

Hello!
I just finished this gown based on Eva Dress 744, the 1930s Dinner Dress pattern available in multisize.
It was a great pattern to use and I especially love the cut of the skirt.  I did make a few changes just based on personal preference.  Most notably I added 6 inches of length to the cape, cut the back skirt gore twice as wide as the original to have more “swoop” at the back, and added about an inch to the length of the top bodice between the bound buttonhole type facing that the cape passes through and the top, but did not add it to the lining (so that the top piece had more fabric gather above where the cape inserted, then tacked down a “tuck” to just add to the drapey effect).  Also, in lieu of making the cape detachable I decided to just go ahead and attach it and stitch closed the slit through which the cape passes.  I also cut the cape on the cross grain of my 60″ wide fabric so I could not have a seam up the back (which meant I had to piece the lining, but no biggie).
All in all this pattern was MUCH easier to make than I had anticipated.  The hardest part for me was inserting an invisible zipper at the side seam (hi, bias satin + zipper.  Ouch! What was I thinking?  It originally called for snap closures, but I wanted the smooth line), and the newest thing I had learned was zig zagging clear elastic at the back bodice to help it stay “put”.  I am glad I had thought of putting thread basting down the center front of the skirt and the bodice, as it helped me with fitting to make sure the skirt was hanging correctly. I am totally in love with the skirt of this pattern and can see myself adding it to various bodices for different evening gowns.
I used a great heavy gold rayon satin I purchased in the LA garment district for the body of the gown and cape.  The bodice and cape are lined in nude silk charmeuse.  Let me tell you, I was iffy about using my nice fabric to line this in because I was hording it, but oh my gosh, the silk charmeuse on my shoulders and arms felt SO nice that I’m glad I used it!
More info and pictures are on my blog here.

I tackled the second part of the EvaDerss 650 pattern this weekend – lounging trousers!

This is the first pair of trousers I’ve ever made (though being mostly un-fitted they were very simple) and I think they’ve turned out very well! The pattern is very simple and very easy to put together – it comes highly recommended.
I wore them on a recent punting trip in Oxford with a blouse I made ages ago from the same pattern and they were perfect for lounging around in the heat.
There’s more details about both the construction of the trousers and my trip on my blog.

This Sunday I have 30s mail order patter images from Marian Martin.

DuBarry 1952B, circa 1937-1938.

Here’s the pattern packet:


And here’s the dress:

Pardon my wilted appearance, it was about a hundred degrees even though I was in the shade and it was dry.

Yes, I wore red heels to an archaeological site. Actually, I nicknamed this dress “Archaeologie” because it’s cutesy-poo enough that parts of it could possibly show up on Anthropologie, but I made it to wear to my brother’s archaeological presentation. Ha ha. Personally, I think it looks a whole lot like the pattern packet, especially considering I’m not built at all like the 1930’s ideal. I added two inches overall to the hips, out of necessity, but other than that, this is sewn exactly as directed. Oddly, by far the hardest part was the lace trim on the split cap sleeves–lots of basting and blind-tacking!

The fabric is Moda Happy Camper quilting cotton, which is supposed to be a modernized 1950’s-flavored series, but I think it works well for this.

Flickr set.

Blogger entries.