One of my 1930s needlework books (from my ever expanding vintage craft and sewing library) had some very basic instructions for making a bra out of a hankie. I decided I would use an original Art Deco silk crepe hankie and some ribbons from my ribbon box to have a go. There was a lot of improvising – the only instruction that seemed to be precise was to make a 2″ dart – and with a lot of pinning and checking on my (size 12) mannequin, I finally got there with the delicate taupe and cream creation above. I was glad to have a couple of little ready made bows that matched, but when I make this garment again I am going to ensure I have toning ribbon flowers prepared (can feel a shopping trek to VV Rouleaux coming on already …). Plus, I will make longer ribbon ties for the back and am going to try it with gathers instead of a dart as well as experimenting with different size hankies. No cheeky comments about extra large men’s hankies, please!!
Below is the diagram from the sewing book plus a couple more views of the bra.
 
If you want to read more, I am Karen (brocobelle) in the contributors’ list to the left or click my link here brocobelle
 
Advertisements