Well, although they were finished at the very last hour, they are spectacular! The gold one came off the ironing board and 15 minutes later, we were sitting in a pew at church. . .

For many years, I made matching dresses for my girls. These mostly consisted of cotton, and on occasion I’d use maybe a velveteen. But they’re growing up now, all young women, and a suitable fabric was required.

Although I did use Vogue 2903, I made some adjustments. This pattern is totally wacko with the way the sleeve and arm and yoke and shoulder section work. After a muslin to just try it out, I ditched the sleeves and adjusted the yoke. I also added a lining so as to finish off the armholes. On the hem, I simply turned it up about 1/2″ to the outside and stitched, and then covered that with a black velvet ribbon. The fabric is a poly tafetta with gold embroidery and a basic black rayon velvet from JoAnn’s. The lining, notions, and velvet ribbon trim all came from WalMart.

And believe it or not, they all loved the fact that they matched. I feel much better about all these weddings I have ahead of me now. . .

Advertisements